Crunchy chocolate biscotti speckled with delightfully tasty green pistachios. Where’s my latte?
I am a huge fan of the soft cookie with the slightly crunchy exterior. You know, that perfect chocolate chip cookie with an almost melty interior and an exterior that holds it perfectly together? This biscotti recipe is worth momentarily turning away from my favorite cookie texture. One thing I like about this biscotti recipe is the expected crispy biscotti-like texture without the hard crunch. You can have this biscotti with tea and still hear your conversation. Then there’s the flavor. There is the bang of chocolately cocoa followed by zips of salty toasted pistachios. Yum! The intent with the smaller batch is that we would have a few cookies around to enjoy at the end of the day with tea. The reality is… I’ve already made a second batch.
Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shelled, roasted and salted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and the egg until light and creamy.
- Add melted butter to egg mixture. Whisk.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Stir until until stiff dough forms.
- Shape into a flattened log, about 2 inches wide.
- Cut the log in half so you can sprinkle the pistachios in the middle, like a sandwich. Put the log back together and smooth out the cut with your hands. This will ensure each biscotti has an even amount of nuts.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes. Cookie should be slightly firm. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut log into pieces about 1 inch thick. Place each cookie on the cut side. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (145 degrees C). Bake cut cookies for an additional 8 minutes.
- Flip cookies over and continue to bake for an additional 5 minutes.