I’ll bet even your grandmother didn’t bake like this…
I found a cheesecake recipe I wanted to experiment with, and, off course, I needed a graham cracker crust. Since we hadn’t sent up any graham crackers, my choices were to buy some at our local store, order them through Amazon.com, or forget the whole idea. Prices at the Native Store are too high, so I ruled that out, and with only five weeks remaining till we head south, it seemed late to be ordering food. The next obvious step was to give up. Ha! That’s not me! I searched around and found a couple of recipes for graham crackers from scratch. Fantastic! My crackers came out looking a little rough around the edges, but they tasted perfect. Actually, in our opinion, they taste better than store-bought. These homemade beauties have a crisp cracker crunch and a sweet honey-cinnamon taste. Now, I’ll tackle the cheesecake recipe.
Honey Graham Crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Optional cinnamon sugar topping – 3 tsp granulated sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Blend butter, sugar, honey and corn syrup until well mixed and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir in milk. You should have a nice ball of dough at the end of this step.
- Cover dough and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface. It is easiest to do this working with only a quarter section of the dough at a time. Roll until the dough is about 1/8″ thick. Cut the dough into rectangles using a knife. Place rectangles on ungreased cookie sheets. Prick decorative holes with toothpick. If desired, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar topping on crackers.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Finished crackers will be browned and will become more crisp as they cool. Cool on wire racks.