The sweet secret to this gallette is a generous layer of homemade cloudberry jam beneath the pears No cloudberries? Try raspberry, blackberry or apricot jam.
A gallette is a beautiful dessert that can whipped up on short notice – a perfect answer to a seasonal abundance of fresh fruit. During the summer, we made a delicious strawberry-port gallette with sliced almonds in the galley of our sailboat. Since it is wintertime, we decided to make the gallette a bit more full-bodied by adding wheat flour and some cornmeal to the crust. We happened to have pears on hand, but many other fruits readily lend themselves to this recipe. Enjoy a slice of pear gallette with a side salad, a favorite cheese and a freshly brewed cup of tea for a satisfying lunch in any season.
Rustic Pear Gallette
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (we made this from powdered)
- 2 tablespoons cloudberry jam, or jam of your choice
- 2 D’Anjou pears, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar mixed with a pinch of ground cinnamon
- Mix together flours, sugar, cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, mix in cold butter. Continue mixing until cold butter is the size of peas.
- Slowly mix in buttermilk. Stir with rubber spatula until dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for about 30-45 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the size of a baking sheet.
- Place chilled dough on center of parchment paper.
- Roll dough to about a 15-inch circle. This is a rustic dessert, so no need to be a perfectionist here.
- Brush the entire rolled dough with jam.
- Arrange pear slices atop dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Fold border over pears, pressing down any folds of dough.
- Brush dough with egg.
- Sprinkle dough and pears with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake gallette 40 – 45 minutes, until dough is golden brown and pears are soft.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.