Two thin, crispy cookies sandwich delicious homemade Alaska blueberry jam. This “anytime” cookie is too good to reserve for holiday cookie trays!
When we received a Christmas package from our friends at Alaskagraphy, we knew that these crispy vanilla cookies would be the perfect canvas for the flavor-packed wild blueberry jam they included. Experiment with your own jam creations!
Swiss Spitzbueben Cookies
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Alaskan blueberry jam, or jam of your choosing
- 2 tbsp confectioners sugar, for dusting
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat until completely mixed.
- Add egg white. Beat until completely mixed.
- Add flour. Mix until flour is incorporated completely.
- Turn dough out onto plastic wrap. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on parchment-covered surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Keep in mind that you need two cookies for each sandwich and the top cookie needs to have a smaller shape cut out in order for jam to show through.
- Bake cookies for 6-8 minutes. Cookies should just brown at bottom edges.
- Jam needs to be thick. If it is runny, cook down jam over medium heat for a few minutes. Spread jam on bottom cookie and place second cookie with cut-out atop first.
- Dust cookies with powdered sugar when cool.
Recipe makes approximately 1 dozen spitzbueben.