A big mug of freshly brewed coffee and a couple scoops of eggnog ice cream dressed up with shaved nutmeg: Bring it on, Winter!
This ice cream is divine.
Rich Eggnog Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Heat cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and heat until mixture almost boils, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, using a heat diffuser if necessary.
- Meanwhile, beat yolks and sugar until the mixture is light yellow and smooth.
- Add 4 tbsp of hot cream mixture to egg mixture and stir until combined. This will temper the eggs.
- Slowly add warmed yolk mixture to warm cream. Stir continuously in order to not cook/curdle eggs.
- Cook entire mixture over low heat until slightly thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon. Cool completely. I put the mixture in the refrigerator overnight before I use it.
- Pour into freezer bowl of ice cream machine. Turn machine on and mix until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to airtight container and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours.