Rich chocolate ice cream coupled with homemade marshmallows put this ice cream flavor in a top-two tie with Cloudberry Sorbet among our all-time favorites.
Really good chocolate ice cream can be made with really good Dutch processed cocoa. But great chocolate ice cream adds in depth of flavor with quality semi-sweet chocolate. This recipe topped the charts by not adding ordinary marshmallows, but adding extraordinary homemade marshmallows to the ingredients.
Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 5 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup marshmallow pieces
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa.
- Bring to almost a boil (mixture will steam) and whisk in chocolate chips, whisking until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining cup of whipping cream. Pour mixture into bowl and set aside.
- Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the original saucepan.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula and creates a custard (and reaches 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Pour the custard into the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
- Then stir in the vanilla.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- During the last 10 minutes of churning, add in almonds and marshmallow pieces.
Recipe adapted from The Brown Eyed Baker.
Wow! that looks so delicious I can hardly stand it. Thanks for sharing! I love homemade ice cream:)
Oh wow that makes my mouth drool
lovely and yummy ice cream, it makes me miss summer so much, homemade ice creams are always the best sweet treat for summer 🙂