Soft, slightly sweet dough layered with sweet adzuki bean paste. Yum!
This turned out to be a ridiculous recipe mash-up. I had some adzuki bean paste in my freezer – it’s always a good idea to make a big batch of adzuki bean paste because of the time and effort it takes. (Click here for directions.) We’re always happy to have some on hand. It’s delicious in anpan, adzuki rolls, and in other delectable pastries like sweet adzuki bean rolls. It’s smooth and sweet. An added benefit is the high fiber and good source of B vitamins. I searched cutterlight.com for adzuki and was surprised to see how many of our recipes feature this yummy paste. This is definitely a pantry staple for us.
I took the dough recipe from my twisted loaf cinnamon bread and swapped out the cinnamon spread with adzuki bean paste. This bread creation was a meal in itself – a delicious breakfast with a side of freshly brewed joe. It was packed with the delicious flavor of the beans which perfectly complemented the dough. And the presentation was pretty cool, too.
Adzuki Bean Twist Bread
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup adzuki bean paste (recipe here)
- Mix milk, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the egg, butter, 1 cup of bread flour and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle, approximately 18″ x 12″.
- Spread adzuki bean paste over dough evenly. Leave about 1/2″ border.
- Roll up dough jelly-roll style to form a long log.
- Cut log down the middle, the long way.
- “Braid” by wrapping the two cut pieces around each other, always leaving the cut sides up.
- Pinch ends of dough so that they will bake together.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown.