Fluffy homemade pancakes served with perfectly ripe bananas, toasted almonds, pure maple syrup and rich, whipped cream. Serves two. Fantastique!
I don’t know how many times we’ve heard that scratch pancakes won’t come out as good as pancakes from a mix. In fact, we’d heard it so many times that for years we fell into blindly relying on Krusteaz pancake mix. Good stuff, but not as good as this…
Everything from scratch tastes better. So we thought it was time to put the pancake myth to the test. Armed with seven pantry staples – things you probably already have in your kitchen, on your camper or in your galley – I went to work. The verdict? Everything from scratch tastes better!
Scratch Pancakes for Two
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla, milk, egg, and butter.
- In the large bowl, make a well in the center of the flour.
- Pour milk mixture into the well.
- Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth, do not overmix.
- Heat a lightly oiled medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of mixture onto frying pan. Brown both sides of pancakes.
- Serve hot pancakes with toasted nuts, syrup, fruit and whipped cream.
Hi Bar and Jack!
I have a request: I’d like you guys to write and photograph a story about Mongolian meat dishes and preparation, especially horse. Have you tried horse in Mongolia yet? I ask for horse because I know that the Ancient Mongolians are credited with domestication of the horse. I ate raw horse twice with bowls of specially-brewed sake in restaurants in the mountain towns of Japan. Apparently the ancient Samurai didn’t let horse meat go to waste.
Jack, do you remember us eating wild boar in the mountains of Japan?
Everything made from scratch DOES taste better!
…and, your pancakes look delish’!
Thanks, on a balmy spring day in Mongolia!
Yum! Looks sooooo good! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍http://enjoybypaula.wordpress.com please check out my blog:) ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Paula, thanks for the comment. Your oatmeal with blueberries looks delish!
Thank you for confirming that no mix compares to the real thing! Besides, I like different kinds of pancakes, like sometimes whole-grain or buckwheat, so I like to mix it up, so to speak. (although these mixes exists at Whole Foods)
Always happy when you stop by, Chef. Thanks for the comment. Mmm… buckwheat pancakes. You’ve got us thinking!
There are many things I would make from a mix, but NEVER pancakes! Now I have a recipe I can use for just the two of us, when I have tried to adapt my other recipes,pancakes never seem to come out right! Thanks so much for this recipe,
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment, Paula. We’re working on more recipes for two, so stay tuned!
Can I use honey instead of vanilla
Yes. Sounds good.