Tempting to eat straight from the oven, these soft rolls are perfect for any savory filling. The dough can be shaped to accommodate big burgers, sliders, or even hot dogs. Most recently, we enjoyed them with barbecued turkey sandwiches made from Christmas dinner leftovers.
I first made these soft and delicious buns to go with Jack’s Bison Sloppy Joes with Roasted Bell Peppers. They came out perfectly soft and fluffy with no trace of doughiness. I’ve since made variations by adding dried onions into the dough as well as different toppings, such as sesame seeds. This recipe is now the go-to recipe for buns in our home.
Perfect Hamburger Buns
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- Place all the dough ingredients into the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Set machine to dough setting. Start machine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn finished dough onto a lightly oiled work surface.
- Knead for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Take each piece and roll into ball using cupped hands.
- Place dough balls onto baking sheet.
- Flatten each dough ball into bun-size and shape. Dough balls should be about an inch thick.
- Cover with a cloth and let dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake rolls for 12 minutes, or until tops are golden.
- Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com.