Temptingly drizzled with orange icing, freshly baked scones are a great way to begin the day.
This recipe produces a light, flaky, sweet-but-not-too scone that goes well with a fried egg or by itself with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea. I deviated from this recipe a bit because I wanted to have this ready in the morning before our friend’s early flight out. I mixed all the dry ingredients and placed them in a covered bowl in the refrigerator at night. The next morning, I preheated the oven, mixed and shaped the dough, and baked it. While the scone was baking, I mixed the orange drizzle. I let the baked scone cool slightly and then drizzled the frosting. In a manner of about thirty minutes, we had warm delicious scones with enough left over to send with our friend for a snack on the plane.
Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, mace and cinnamon.
- Grate frozen butter with a cheese grater. Stir grated butter into flour mixture.
- Stir cranberries, orange zest, and walnuts into flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream and egg together.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir with rubber spatula until dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead a few times. Shape dough into circle, about 1 inch thick.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet. Transfer dough circle to baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until scone is lightly browned.
- Mix together drizzle ingredients until the texture is like honey. Place drizzle in a small plastic bag.
- Cool baked scone. When cooled, snip corner of drizzle bag and drizzle topping across the scone in a zig zag formation.
- Let scone cool further. Cut scone into 6 wedges.
Enjoy with a cup of fruit and some fresh roasted coffee on a chilly morning with friends.