These cinnamon vanilla snaps are addicting! They key is in the ingredients…
A secret behind the best pies, cookies and breads is that they start with excellent ingredients. Organic butter from grass-fed cows and Bob’s Red Mill all-purpouse flour give these cinnamon sugar cookies a head start, and Penzeys double-strength vanilla extract put them at 11 on a 1 – 10 scale! The “double-strength” description is spot on; you truly only need half the required quantity of vanilla recipes call for and the flavor is divine. High-quality Saigon cinnamon added the final touch. These cookies come out of the oven ready to melt in your mouth!
Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 tsp Penzeys double-strength)
For topping –
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugars at medium speed.
- Add butter and mix until incorporated.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in cinnamon mixture.
- Place onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool immediately on wire racks
Yields 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from At Home in Alaska.