I’m been really happy with my sourdough starter. I’ve used it for pancakes, waffles, and English muffins. Every week, I use this delicious starter to turn out two beautiful loaves of sourdough bread to accompany many of our meals. Recently, I finished a batch of homemade lox. I wondered what would happen if I included some of my trusty starter in my bagel recipe.
Wow. What an improvement. The resulting bagels have a subtle sourdough flavor. But the flavor wasn’t the main improvement – it was the texture. These bagels have a perfectly soft interior and a perfectly chewy exterior. We couldn’t believe the difference from an already tried and true recipe. I’ve made the recipe twice now with the same happy results. It’s a keeper!
Sourdough Chewy Bagels
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105° F/40° C)
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 qts water
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- toppings such as poppy seeds, toasted onions, sesame seeds, etc. (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together yeast, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar and water. Let sit for about 5 minutes to make sure the yeast is good. (It will foam.)
- Stir in sourdough starter
- Stir in salt and the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. The last 1/2 cup, you will need to knead in by hand.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Coat the inside of a large bowl with oil and place the dough inside.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll pieces into balls.
- Flatten balls slightly.
- Poke your finger through center of each ball and twirl dough around your finger to enlarge the hole.
- Place bagels on parchment-lined baking sheet to rest.
- Bring 3 qts water to boil in large pot. Stir in 3 tbsp sugar.
- Place 4 bagels in boiling water. Boil for 1 minute. Flip bagels and let boil for another minute.
- Place boiled bagels on clean, dry towel.
- Place remaining 4 bagels in boiling water. Repeat boiling process with these bagels.
- Take bagels from towel and place them on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Brush bagels with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle desired toppings on bagels (poppy seeds, sesame seeds, charnushka, minced dried onion and minced dried garlic are some of our favorites).
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes, until browned.