Instant oatmeal packets – overly sticky-sweat on their own – can be transformed into moist, tasty, healthy breakfast treats.
I really hate to see food wasted. So when we recently discovered several instant oatmeal packs fated to be thrown out, I grabbed them up thinking they might make decent breakfast fare for backpacking. Unfortunately, as it turns out the oatmeal is way over-processed and there’s far too much sugar. So I began thinking about how else they might be used. Muffins! I added leftover trail mix to the batter as well as to the topping to add some crunch and flavor. Moist and flavorful, these muffins along with some fruit and freshly brewed coffee make for a quick and delicious breakfast. In fact, we’ve found ourselves snacking on them throughout the day!
Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup nuts, chopped coarse
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 packets flavored instant oatmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 cup trail mix, chopped coarse
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12-muffin cup tin.
- In a small bowl, combine all streusel ingredients. Mix with fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Break larger pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add first 5 muffin ingredients. Mix together using a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt, oil, vanilla and syrup.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry.
- Fold in trail mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Each cup will be about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. When done, a wooden pick inserted into center of muffin will come out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Wow! These sound yummy..I will have to give it a try.. 🙋🐦
They’re easy, too!
What a very good idea!!! I get so tired of finding those things in the cupboard and this makes for a much better breakfast value! Posting on my FB page-
Thanks. Our most recent batch was made from Apple-Cinnamon – and that’s the end of them!