We. love. cornbread. From muffin-shaped to loaf-shaped cornbread, from cornbread made with coarse cut cornmeal to smooth cornbread made with fine meal, we love them all. After years of making and enjoying different versions, I think we now have a favorite. The secret is plain yogurt. This sweet, moist version has a lovely flavor and a smooth texture that has put this recipe at the front of our recipe box.
Moist Sweet Cornbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal, fine ground
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish, or a 9-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in sugar.
- Mix in eggs and yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Pour flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix well.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cornbread will be lightly brown and a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.