Sometimes a small batch of cookies is all you need. These thumbprint cookies combine the creamy sweetness of Arctic cloudberries with the tropical essence of coconut in an airy confection.
Sorry to temp you with a berry that rarely sees a latitude much south the Arctic Circle. Our favorite berry has yet to be cultivated on any large scale as far as we know, but almost any jam could serve as a substitute in these cookies. Perhaps there is an equivalent rare berry from another interesting part of the world you could taunt us back with?
Coconut Aqpik Thumbprints
- 1/4 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water (egg wash)
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- cloudberry jam (or jam of your choice)
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour and salt to butter mixture. Mix until dough comes together.
- Roll dough into about 1-inch balls.
- Get a bowl ready with egg wash and a plate ready with coconut flakes.
- Dip each ball into egg wash.
- Roll each ball in coconut.
- Place each cookie on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press an indentation into each cookie. I used the handle end of a silverware knife.
- Fill each indentation with jam.
- Bake cookies for 20 – 25 minutes, until coconut is golden brown.
- Cool and serve.
Makes 15 cookies.