Tart cranberries and almonds make for an irresistible combination. This cake is delicious served with vanilla bean ice cream or covered with hot vanilla custard.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup whole almonds pulverized to the consistency of coarse flour
- 1/2 cup applesauce (used instead of butter)
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons almond syrup (the kind used to flavor drinks in coffee shops)
- (optional) zest from 1 orange or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one deep 9-inch pie pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat. Stir in the applesauce, beaten eggs, and almond extract. The mixture will be very thick. Spread the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or warm vanilla custard.
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-cranberry-pie/Detail.aspx