Cloudberry jam swirled into these buttery scones creates an attractive twist on a breakfast, brunch or snack-time favorite.
With our date for departing Point Hope set for less than four weeks from now, we still have several jars of cloudberry jam on hand. I went to bed last contemplating creative ways to use this luscious pantry item and woke this morning inspired: Why not roll the scone dough jelly roll-style?
Since traditional scones dough is not very sweet, it lends itself to the savory or the sweet depending on what is mixed into it. This recipe would work nicely with any type of jam or savory spread.
Swirled Cloudberry Jam Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) frozen unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unflavored yogurt
- cold water
- 3/4 cup cloudberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Grate frozen butter into flour mixture. Stir well.
- Whisk together eggs and yogurt.
- Pour yogurt mixture into flour mixture and knead together. Mixture will be sticky.
- Add cold water to mixture while kneading, a tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into a rectangle. Dough should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread jam onto rectangle, avoiding edges.
- Roll dough up jelly roll-style.
- Cut log into 3/4 inch pieces.
- Place cut scones onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with lemon curd and a freshly brewed cup of coffee.